Friday, November 6, 2015

Talk with Him Today

As I read the bible this morning, I encountered three passages that I want to share. 
15While Jesus was having dinner at Levi's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the "sinners" and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: "Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?" 
17On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." 
Mark 2:15-17

These passages alone made me reflect on the real reason why Jesus came to this world. Like a doctor, He saves the sick from dying. Although unlike the doctor who only saves the physical body from deteriorating from worldly diseases, Jesus came to heal our spirits and save our souls from eternal death.

I can liken the Pharisees to those people who consider themselves VIPs. As VIPs, they expect nothing but the best -- luxury, good treatment... they do not want anything to do with people who are "below" their status. But Jesus, who is the MOST HIGH, readily accepts literally anyone in His table.

I guess the point that I'm really trying to say here is that EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO GOD. And by extension, to Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Whether you consider yourself one of the "good" guys or even if you feel like you're drowning in sin, Jesus is ready to welcome and accept and to spend time in fellowship with you.

Before I would often feel that I am so far away from God. I do not go to church, I do not confess, I do not do the rituals of the religion I was born into. Some people would tell me, "Uy hindi ka na nagsisimba" (Hey, you're not going to church anymore) and I would feel so condemned each time! Like it was a sin to not do all those things. And so I felt like I just keep drifting farther and farther away. It was only in the recent years that I had found out the truth -- it's never really about the rituals. It's never about physically going to church. Why, I know of people who goes to church, even members of religious organizations and yet do not act in a way that is pleasing to God.

If it's not about the rituals, if it's not about going to church, then what is?

F A I T H

I believe a physical church is built for people to enjoy. To be a place of sanctuary and safety. For believers to feel more "in the zone", that's why it's built the way it is -- calm and serene. But it's not the only place where we can spend time with God. We have direct access to Him wherever we are because of our faith. We can spend time with Him at home, in school, in the car, in the bus. I'm even sure He wouldn't mind if we spend time with Him in the bathroom!

Go talk with Him today. Now. Wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment